Maternity Group Practice (MGP)
This type of care is for women with a low risk of pregnancy and birth complications. It offers an active birthing experience in a homely setting with a known midwife. This option allows you to go home sooner after you have had your baby.
Key features of MGP:
- Midwives work in pairs to care for you during pregnancy, labour and after you have had your baby
- Antenatal (pregnancy) appointments are scheduled for Tuesdays (morning and afternoon)
- When you go into labour, you will call your midwife directly and she will meet you at the hospital to provide labour and birth care
- If you have an uncomplicated birth and both you and baby are well, you will be discharged home within 12 hours. If you or your baby experience complications and require further care or monitoring, you will be transferred to the postnatal ward
- If complications arise during your pregnancy or birth, your midwives will continue to provide care in collaboration with our specialist obstetric and allied health services
- Following discharge, your midwives will visit you at home for up to 2 weeks depending on your needs
When submitting your referral form, please ensure it states your preference for Maternity Group Practice. If our bookings are full, you can still have your baby at Mercy Hospital for Women in a different care model. You can also be put on a waiting list in case a place becomes available in Maternity Group Practice.
If you require further information about Maternity Group Practice, please email firstname.lastname@example.org