Mercy Health O'Connell Family Centre was established by the Family Care Sisters. The Centre is named after Maude O’Connell who established a family care centre in 1930 to support Victorian families during the Depression. The Centre moved to its current site, in Canterbury in 1947.
In 1998 the Centre became part of the Mercy Health and Aged Care Group, a Catholic community benefit organisation founded by the Sisters of Mercy that operates public hospitals, aged care and community services. It was officially gifted to Mercy Health in 2006.
On the 1st July 2008 Mercy Health and Aged Care launched a new brand name – Mercy Health. Central to the name change is the use of the word “health” which is used in its most encompassing sense, referring to our aspiration to care for the whole person and support them to achieve their best state of physical, mental and social wellbeing appropriate to their stage of life.