Mercy Health offers clinical placement for students studying the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery. Positions are available at Mercy Hospital for Women and Werribee Mercy Hospital. Mercy Health works collaboratively with your chosen university to ensure the best possible learning opportunities during the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery. Places are subject to acceptance by Mercy Health and one of the following affiliated universities:
• Deakin University
• Federation University
• La Trobe University
Aim of Program:
Graduate Diploma of Midwifery students are an integral part of Mercy Health’s commitment to develop our future midwifery workforce. We welcome midwifery students to join our team to provide compassionate and responsive care to people in need. The clinical placement component of the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery is designed to facilitate students within a supportive and welcoming environment. Clinical placement aims to provide learning opportunities for student midwives to develop their theoretical knowledge and clinical skills, whilst meeting the requirements for registration as a Midwife.
Overview of Program:
• Program Outline:
- 3 unpaid days per week (as per university requirements).
- Students will be rostered across all shifts, 7 days a week.
- Shifts occur around the university time requirements for lectures and exams.
- Students work will work in a supernumery capacity in all clinical areas.
- Commencing in March for a period of 1-2 years (depending on university).
• Student Support:
- Comprehensive Hospital and Program Orientation.
- Unit specific orientation.
- Daily clinical support, guidance and mentoring provided by expert Clinical Support Midwives and Nurses.
• Theoretical Component:
- Please contact the university of your choice regarding the theoretical component as the structure varies between universities.
- All assignments and exams are set by the university.
• Clinical Component:
- Allocated as per requirements set by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia and the relevant university.
- Competency and clinical skill assessments will be completed by our Clinical Support Midwives throughout the year.
Mercy Hospital for Women:
Birthing Services Unit
Werribee Mercy Hospital:
Birthing Services Unit
Life at Mercy Health after the Graduate Diploma of Midwifery
Mercy Health offers Registered Midwives the opportunity to consolidate midwifery knowledge and skills in a 12 month Graduate Midwife Program. For more information please refer to Mercy Health Graduate Programs.
You must apply to both the university of your choice and Mercy Health, please specify which hospital you are applying to.
Applications will open Friday 21 July 2017 via firstname.lastname@example.org and will be received online.
Applications close: Friday 26 August 2017. Late applicants will not be accepted.