Aboriginal Hospital Liaison
The Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Officer provides cultural support and advocacy for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients across all inpatient and outpateint services at Werribee Mercy Hospital. Services for patients and families include:
* providing emotional, social and cultural support
* attending appointments with patients when requested
* linking patients with appropriate external services
* working closely with hospital staff to ensure that Aboriginal patients have a voice in their care
AHLOs also provide information, education and consultation to hospital staff regarding culturally appropriate care.
Hospital to Community Pathways Project
The Hospital to Community Pathways Project is a 15 month project coordinated by the Transitions Officer. The project focuses on:
* culturally appropriate referrals for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients
* working with the hospital staff to improve identification and documentation of Aboriginality
* building cultural safety into the hospitals process
* identifying and working closely with organisations that have a "priority of access" policy and build links between these services and the hospitals discharge process
* creating a culturally safe and welcoming environment within the hospital.